Monday, August 17, 2009

Prison

80 feet down in the copper mine. It was very wet, but a pleasant 52 degrees on a humid day. Thula was terrified of it, so I told her that if she listened carefully she might hear the seven dwarfs mining away. That seemed to scare her even more! Lela on the other hand was a trooper.


View from the the prison
Ruins that housed the workshops and women's cells-they were never housed in the mine.
From 1777 to 1827 America's first copper mine was used as a prison. Some old yankee thought,"Hey, wer'e not using this anymore let's put prisoners here." It was finally shut down due to public outcry.



7 comments:

Michelle said...

Thula's face says it all! She does not look impressed with the prison.

Shilowe said...

That prison's got a better view than I do! ha ha. What a cool place to go visit--I'm sure Thula will thank you some day! :)

KatobanBlessings said...

Elaine! I got scared that ou may not have made it out!! Lela even got tanner...iam glad you are doing alot of fun stuff with the kis. Thula will have 'much' to tell when she returns to school, esp with that face!

Kendy said...

hey....ur lookin good.....well i am glad u had fun...it sad sometimes when u think u kids would have a good time but don't....oh well maybe when she's older ;)

Patty Sampson said...

Wow, you are such an adventurer! I love how you are showing your girls the other side of things. :) And I agree with Kendy. You are so skinny girl friend!!

Lindsay said...

Wow, Elaine, you take the best trips! Your girls are getting so big. I can't imagine being imprisoned underground, somehow that seems much worse, just knowing that you are stuck down there would be depressing. Very cool to visit when you are not a prisoner, though!

Doug and Mallena said...

What a great place to go! Keep a list so you know all the great places to show me when I come visit. ;)

background

My Book Reviews

Widget_logo