I have a new calling in church to teach English on Thursday nights. I have to admit that it was horribly scary for me when they asked me to help with the class. Tonight was our third meeting and I have to say that I am beginning to feel in the groove of teaching. I was actually enjoying myself. There is something about helping people learn a life skill that is deeply satisfying. Tonight I helped two great women from Colombia and we had a lot of fun. I probably learned as much Spanish from them as they learned English from me. I really enjoy living in Philadelphia and having experiences like this. When Stuart told me that he wanted to come to school here I was so apprehensive. I felt at the time that I could have just stayed in Idaho for the rest of my life. I realize now how stunted my personal development would have been. A big city experience has been good for us and I am so grateful to all the wonderful people who have befriended us. I never thought I would say this but, "Yeah Philly!" (at least for now until some annoying rude Philadelphia local bings me back to reality) :-)
Life Can Change So Fast
1 year ago


5 comments:
Way to make me feel guilty for my bad attitude!
I'm glad it went so well, but I think you should tell everyone how last weeks lesson went:)
Okay, this comment is for you Amanda. Thanks for always 'keepin' it real.' So last weeks lesson was on numbers. I wasn't sure what level everyone would be at so I planned the lesson really simple. Like, "one little, two little, three little apples..." kind of simple. Well, I think I heard crickets chirping when I was done. So I was nervous that no one would be back for next week, but as I said in my last blog, last night went great. You live, you learn.:-0
I'm so happy you love it there! I grew up in PA and I miss it sometimes. You and I look at it from different spectrums. I've had the city experience and I'm learning to enjoy the small town way of life and you are now loving the big city and all it offers! I'm so happy for you!
Elaine... I actually started crying when I read your blog. There is so much to see and so much to do in this world...I'm in a panic sometimes to take it all in, just like you..and sometimes it doesn't go so well but you keep pressing on and the nasty experiences like losing luggage in Flagstaff AZ in hindsight are ok too....how is that?
Post a Comment